- The academic program is structured such that each teacher specializes in a single subject area.
- A strong focus on writing advances from exploring forms and styles in 4th grade to constructing paragraphs in 5th grade to developing short essays in 6th grade.
- A year-long interdisciplinary focus in 5th grade brings together math, science, history, and poetry, with expeditions around the DC metropolitan area to enhance the curriculum.
- Weekly morning assemblies bring the entire Lower School together. At each, one 6th grader takes the spotlight, making a presentation on a topic of personal interest.
- A 6th-grade three-day trip to the shores of the Chesapeake provides a chance for ecological study and growth in independence and friendship.
- Two after-school programs provide students with fun and educational experiences outside of class.