National Cathedral School’s promise to educate women for the world requires that we welcome and honor a diverse community
. In keeping with our historic identity and close association with the National Cathedral, we believe in the dignity and worth of each individual and seek to promote equity, justice, and fairness.
Diversity and inclusion enrich the learning environment of our school and are cornerstones of academic and interpersonal excellence. As the Association of Independent Maryland and DC Schools (AIMS) states, “diversity requires an ongoing process by which a school lives and breathes its commitment to include different peoples and perspectives into its community, curriculum, and culture.” A diverse student body and faculty prepare students to work effectively and collaboratively with individuals who represent the full range of backgrounds and perspectives in a global community. We recognize that commitment to the ideals of diversity, inclusion and multiculturalism is not enough: progress requires action. Each member of our community has a role to play in fulfilling this goal.
To prepare NCS students for global citizenship, we will pursue the following goal over the next five years:
Create an increasingly multicultural and inclusive learning environment
- Vigorously and strategically recruit students, faculty, staff, and administrators to our school from underrepresented populations
- Make diversity a priority in filling governance and other volunteer leadership roles
- Ensure that all members of the NCS community have the tools they need to be successful in our program
- Increase opportunities for honest and respectful dialogue regarding the lives and experiences of our community members
- Deepen the faculty’s facility with multicultural pedagogy and curriculum development
- Strengthen and broaden community connections so that students see themselves as an integral part of NCS well beyond their time here